Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Mary vs Martha

I have recently - once again - been convicted by the story of Mary and Martha (Luke 10:38-42).
Martha and Mary
38Now as they were traveling along, He entered a village; and a woman named Martha welcomed Him into her home.
39She had a sister called Mary, who was seated at the Lord's feet, listening to His word.
40But Martha was distracted with all her preparations; and she came up to Him and said, "Lord, do You not care that my sister has left me to do all the serving alone? Then tell her to help me."
41But the Lord answered and said to her, "Martha, Martha, you are worried and bothered about so many things;
42but only one thing is necessary, for Mary has chosen the good part, which shall not be taken away from her."
The busyness of life so often creeps into the daily routine of cleaning, cooking, training, tidying, that I neglect the "one thing" that is truly necessary. Listening to Rachel Barkey share how her life has changed since she found out that she had but a few weeks to live, begs the question: how would my life change if I knew I would die in 6 weeks time.

Would I leave the dishes for a few minutes more so that I could play trains with my 2 year old son. Could my admin wait so that I spend some time drawing or reading with my 6 year old daughter. I am sure that I could probably put aside these household chores to spend time with my children. But could I put aside the things I enjoy, could I put aside my crafts, my reading, my blogging, my phone time with a friend.

And then what about the "one thing"? Time spent at my Saviours feet, listening, learning and loving the God that saved me from an eternity seperated from Him. I am so thankful that He is the Good Shepherd, that He so often leaves the 99 and pulls me back into his safe and nurturing care. How good it is that I have a God that loves me absolutely and eternally. How good it is that the love He has for me is not dependant on me, my works, my spiritual state, my lovability.

His love for me is based on the work of the Perfect Lamb. Jesus who became sin on my behalf, so that I could gain His righteousness, stands as my advocate. God, the judge, finds me innocent because Jesus paid the ultimate price for my sin. God loves me, because Jesus bought me with His life.

Now, more than ever, I realise how thankful I am that my salvation is not based on me - because I would have lost it a long time ago!

My prayer, that I would become more like Mary and so much less like Martha. That I will choose the "good part", that which will "not be taken away". That my life will be busy with that which will have eternal value.

Matthew 20:28 "just as the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give His life a ransom for many"

1 comment:

Bron said...

Oh I am so convicted by this scripture each time I read it! But I never seem to learn from it! Perspective! Godly view and heavenly minded, that's what's needed. Thanks for the reminder, I'm going to go pray for us now!